From Cambodia to Japan

A Cambodian Student Looks at Life in Two Different Worlds


A Song From the Past: " Batt Oun"

Dedicated to you. A Khmer song from the past. " Batt Oun". Written and sung by prince Sisovath Panara Sereyvuth in the 1960s, it quickly became a big hit in Cambodia( As well as in France, if the commentator in YouTube is correct). This song is arguably one of the greatest Khmer songs of all time.

Hour Lavy, another Cambodian singer who gained fame in the early 1990s, has his own version of this song. Same melody, same lyric, buth entirely different voice. Still nice, nonetheless.

Interestingly, Hang Meas production, a leading music production company in Cambodia, has recently released the same song ( sung by Preab Sovath) , though it's not as good as the previous two versions.

Labels:

5 Responses to “A Song From the Past: " Batt Oun"”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Come on Seserak! U r probably conservative but should't judge that the Preab Sovath-sung Batt Oun is not as beautiful as the previous two versions.

    Anyway, ur sense tell u that. To me, I love his version.

    Keep on with ur very good works.  

  2. # Blogger seserak

    Hello!

    Thanks for the comment.

    Maybe, our taste are a little different with respect to this song.

    Anyway, to be honest, I don't think I am a conservative. I enjoy listening to modern Khmer music ( Pop, rock, or rap) as much as any Khmer modern music lover do.

    Recently, I just got to really like Khemarak Sereymon, " Tov dondung koun keh" of Sunday Production. Waiting for the DVD release of this song.

    Have fun!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    different Taste? Sure, we r and everyone is.

    But rarely do I make wrong judgment. to some extent u r conservative for ur peom-loving heart and works tell me. more often than not I can read ur works from within and so can read ur heart too.

    also, i said 'probably,' not 'completely'. Alright?

    has has... kidding sos.

    when will u release ur new version of those well-composed poems, kid?

    Enjoy  

  4. # Blogger seserak

    I don't think I will be able to write any new poem soon. Seem to have lost all my interest in literature.

    Anyhow, you must be someone I know. Where should we meet again next year in Cambodia?  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Sorry to call u kid!
    But really don know whether u r a boy or girl, ur age or whatever related to u. Jus know u r a very good poet and writer.

    I can guess, anyway. u r male in ur twentyist. And if so, we are similar. We r, frankly speaking, not acquantance, but r alike Cambodian.

    I still am awaiting for ur poem.

    Tour, my name.  

Post a Comment